A250 Launches the Civics & Civic Engagement Advisory Council
Advisory Councils expand the reach and resources of America250 to engage all Americans in the most inclusive commemoration in U.S. history
Washington, D.C. – America250, the nationwide commemoration of America’s 250th anniversary in 2026 led by the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission, has established a 12th advisory council to increase inclusiveness, expand America250’s capacity and connection to partners and stakeholders, and facilitate program development, implementation, and social impact.
The Civics & Civic Engagement Advisory Council will focus on broadening the country’s shared understanding of self-governance as a means to encourage civic dialogue, participation, and service, and empower each American’s individual role in “government by consent of the governed.”
“Our advisory councils provide the leadership and expertise our organization needs to ensure the nationwide programming and events for the 250th commemoration are remarkable, patriotic, and open to all who want to participate,” America250 President Joseph Daniels said. “I welcome the Civics & Civic Engagement Advisory Council members to this effort and I’m grateful to all the advisory council members who are committed to our mission.”
- Victoria Hughes, Retired, The Ashbrook Center at Ashland University (Co-Chair)
- Rajiv Vinnakota, President, Institute for Citizens and Scholars (Co-Chair)
- Cathy Gillespie, Founder & CoPresident, Constituting America (Commission Representative)
- Val Crofts, Chief Education and Programs Officer, The American Village Citizenship Trust (Commission Representative)
- Susan Donius, Executive for Legislative Archives, Presidential Libraries and Museum Services, National Archive & Records Administration (Ex-Officio)
- Andrew Brennen, Co-Founder, Kentucky Student Voice Team
- Dr. Elizabeth Busch, Laura and Pete Walker Professor of American Studies, Christopher Newport University
- Kristen Cambell, CEO, Philanthropy for Active Civic Engagement (PACE)
- Elizabeth Clay-Roy, Chief Executive Officer, Generation Citizen
- Jodi Grant, Executive Director, Afterschool Alliance
- Negar Jadidi, Student, Young America’s Foundation
- Adam Kissel, Senior Fellow (personal capacity), Cardinal Institute for West Virginia Policy
- Angela Sailor, Vice President, The Edwin J. Feulner Institute, The Heritage Foundation
- Julie Silverbrook, Senior Director of Partnerships and Constitutional Scholar in Residence, iCivics
- Stefanie Rosenberg Wager, Past President, National Council for the Social Studies
Other current advisory councils include Arts & Culture; Civics & Civic Engagement; Health & Wellness; History Education; Hospitality & Tourism; Innovation, Science & Entrepreneurship; International; Parks, Preservation & Public Spaces; Sports & Entertainment; Veterans, Military & Family Members; Youth Engagement; and Young Leaders. As America250 continues planning and preparations, additional advisory councils will be created.
To learn more about America250’s advisory councils, click here.
America250 is a multiyear effort to commemorate the semiquincentennial, or 250th anniversary, of the United States. The purpose of the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission, created by Congress, and the corresponding America250 Foundation, is to catalyze a more perfect union by designing and leading the most comprehensive and inclusive celebration in our country’s history. America250 represents a coalition of public and private partners all working to create initiatives and programs that honor our first 250 years and inspire Americans to imagine our next 250. The commemoration period began in 2020, culminates on July 4, 2026, and officially concludes in 2027. For more information, visit www.america250.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Michael Frazier, [email protected]